[free-sklyarov] Reasons why the United States should free Dimitry

Andrew Lawrence ausage at ausage.com
Wed Jul 25 22:19:39 PDT 2001

Reasons why the United States should free Dimitry
-------------------------------------

1) The is absolutely no proof Dimitry did anything wrong, anywhere.  Yes, his
name was on a copyright notice, but that does not mean he participated in any
illegal transaction.

2) This is selective prosecution.  Dimitry was accompanied by the president
of his employer, an FBI supplier. The officers of the company are responsible
for the acts of the company.  Why was the president not charged?  Why was the
accomplice in the transaction, RegNow not charged? They are an American
company complicit in the same act of trafficing.

3) Dimitry is a being used by a large American company to put pressure on
others who might harm their business. Why wasn't he arrested as soon as he
arrived in Las Vegas, why wait until after Defcon.  Where the PTB afraid of
the anger of 5,000 or so angry "hackers".

4) There has been no crime (arguement used unsucessfully by 2600). According
to an Adobe communication 27/05/2001 there are no reports of comprised eBook
files "in the wild".  Then again the same day Adobe annouced a new eBook
Virtually Library protect by their technology.

5) There has been no crime (alternate arguement).  Unlike DVD's, there are
eBooks in the public domain. (see Adobe web site for a complete list of
titles). This makes ABEPR a tool to access "unprotected" works.

6) National interest.  US is getting a black eye.  Many people outside the US
are very angry.  We may start telling our American suppliers to go home and
give our money to a country is less onerous. I don't know where my next
vacation will be, but will NOT be in the US. Attend a computer conference in
the US.? I'm not that stupid... I do security work from time to time too.

7) Domestic peace. Dimitry Sklyarov is getting a lot of press.
Demonstrations keep happing. This story is not going to go away quietly.

8) Save face.  "After a full investigation of the facts in this case, the
Justice Department has detemined that there is insufficient evidence
available in the US to justify continuing on the matter and that the
probability of a sucessfull prosecution is very low".

9) Save face.  If the Justice Department proceeds and the Second Circuit
Court of Appeal rules the law is unconstitutional half way through the
proceedings, after all these protests and all the publicity, somebody is
going to have a lot of questions to anwer.

10) Save face. If a judge tosses the case out on a summary motion to dismiss,
after tall these protests and all the publicity, somebody is going to have
some very embarrassing questions to answer.

11) Stay in office. This arrest has created a ground swell against the DMCA.
The DMCA is getting bad press.  This will make the MPAA, RIAA and others
upset.  That will make the politicians upset.  That will threaten the jobs of
senior civil servants.

I am sure that the EFF has though all these thoughts, but if others want to
brainstorm a few ideas on why the Justice Dept should let Dimitry go, not why
he's innocent but rather why it's a really good idea to give a ticket and
sent him home gracefully, it won't do any harm....  And if we give the EFF
one extra arguement to take to the bargaining table it could make a
difference.

--
Andrew Lawrence         <ausage at smoke-and-mirrors.net>
Smoke & Mirrors         http://www.smoke-and-mirrors.net