[free-sklyarov] Thought: Oksana US Visit

Julian T. J. Midgley free-sklyarov at effector.xenoclast.org
Thu Jul 26 07:15:24 PDT 2001

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Victor Piterbarg wrote:

> I'll put up another $50. However, keep in mind that she still needs to get a
> visa, which is often problematic. One thing she'd need to get is an
> "affidavit of support" from somebody in the USA who can prove that he has
> enough funds to support her and her children during her stay. To get a visa
> she'd need to prove that she'll return back to Russia...I don't see how
> she'd want to stay in a country that did this to her husband, but not sure

In obtaining Visas for Russian Nationals to visit the UK, I've found that
it's effective sending a letter with words to the effect of "I will be
financially responsible for XXX during his/her stay in this country, and
will ensure that he/she leaves before his/her visa expires" to the person
concerned who takes it along to the Embassy when they try to get their
visa.  This seems to be all that's necessary by way of proof that someone
will return.  Of course, in the USA things may be slightly different.

Julian

--
Julian T. J. Midgley                    http://www.xenoclast.org
Cambridge, England.                       PGP Key ID: 0xBCC7863F