[free-sklyarov] Backlash

Adrian Dunston adunston at jetstream.com
Thu Jul 26 10:51:59 PDT 2001

>> Of course, "violator" and "infringer" aren't great words either.  Any
>> suggestions?

> Fair use advocate? Fair user? Constitutional defender?

> we could call him raptor of the public and its needs

	I was actually looking for a term for a person who violates the
Constitutional copyright laws (as opposed to the unconstitutional DMCA).
Like people who burn and sell hundreds of CDs (without consent of artists
and copyright holders) for personal profit.  This is the kind of behavior I
was referring to as copyright infringement.

	I didn't mean people who were making personal copies for fair use,
or watching DVDs they own on "non-sanctioned" players.  This kind of
behavior is supposed to be protected by US law.

	We have to be careful to inform people that we AREN'T AGAINST
COPYRIGHTS.  We are for the repeal of certain draconian laws overprotecting
them.

	Examples include the idea that the government should bless and make
holy the childish encoding schemes companies are using to store their
copyrighted content.  (A CHILD was arrested for creating DeCSS.)

	Another example is the fact that every twenty years copyrights are
extended twenty more.  They currently last 70 years after the death of the
creator of content.  This is why Mickey Mouse and the "Happy Birthday" song
are still copyrighted.  (That's why they rarely sing "happy birthday to
you..." on sitcoms.)  The Constitution says copyrights should have time
limits, but if the time limit is constantly extended, it's not really a time
limit.

	I own copyrighted material, and I don't want people copying and
distributing it without my permission.  Laws reguarding that are fine.  I
also don't want the goverment to make it illegal to be ABLE to copy and
distribute my material.  Laws reguarding that are unconstitutional, and
should be repealed.

		Your copy-rights end where my fair use and copy ownership
begins.

-Adrian P. Dunston
__
(sourceCode == freeSpeech)	//Support the EFF.
http://www.x-omega.com/shirtdept