[free-sklyarov] Backlash

Anatoly Vorobey mellon at pobox.com
Thu Jul 26 11:47:09 PDT 2001

You, Adrian Dunston, were spotted writing this on Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 09:01:47AM -0700:
> I know I'm splitting hairs here but -- like Richard Stallman -- I have to
> disagree with our using the term piracy to describe copyright infringement.

This is not a new usage. It dates back to the 17th century.

> A pirate is a person who boards ships uninvited, murders, rapes, and steals
> physical property.

That's one meaning of the word; another is a person who infringes on other
people's copyrights, especially (but not necessarily) with the purpose of
a financial gain. I'm sure that your favourite dictionary will be able to
clue you in.

Let's leave political correctness in the dustbin of history where it properly
belongs. If you want copyright infringement to become a noble affair, I suggest
you look into the possibility of proudly using the word "pirate" - like black
people have done with "nigger" , or gay people with "gay".

> Drafters of copyright law coined the term piracy in order to help justify
> the need for laws like the DMCA.

Get a historical dictionary, or a clue, or both.

--
Anatoly Vorobey,
mellon at pobox.com http://pobox.com/~mellon/