[free-sklyarov] Re: UK Free-Sklyarov Mailing List

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto jaed at jaedworks.com
Thu Jul 26 11:58:46 PDT 2001

At 11:20 AM -0700 7/26/2001, Seth David Schoen wrote:
>Everyone who has spoken to or corresponded with Oksana Sklyarov,
>including EFF officials and colleagues of Dmitry Sklyarov, has gotten
>the same reply: Ms. Sklyarov _does not wish to come to the United
>States_.

It should not be omitted - particularly when talking to the press, etc. -
that at least part of her expressed reason for not wanting to do so is the
fear that if she comes to this country, she will be picked up by police. In
her words: "What I really worry about is a safety of my children. There is
a chance that I'll be invided for the "interview" (I mean in Police) as
Dmitry' wife -- I'm not scared with that at all, but wish my kids to be
with me all the time." A month ago I would have said this fear was silly,
in this country, in this day and age. I still don't see any legal way such
a thing could happen...

...but then, a month ago if someone had said to me, "I'm a Russian graduate
student, the company I work for has a dispute with a large American company
and I'm afraid if I go to this conference and speak, the company will get
the police to arrest me and I'll be imprisoned in a foreign country, maybe
for years," I would have said that was silly too. Clearly I would have been
wrong.

jeanne a. e. devoto ~ jaed at jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com
What does not kill us makes us stranger.