[free-sklyarov] Backlash

Adrian Dunston adunston at jetstream.com
Thu Jul 26 13:58:25 PDT 2001

From: Anatoly Vorobey [mailto:mellon at pobox.com]

>You, Adrian Dunston, were spotted writing this on Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at
09:01:47AM -0700:
>> I know I'm splitting hairs here but -- like Richard Stallman -- I have to
>> disagree with our using the term piracy to describe copyright
infringement.

>This is not a new usage. It dates back to the 17th century.

When the idea of owning printed content was gaining acceptance, this word
was introduced to create an emotional connection to prosecuting rogue
publishers.  The age of the term does not change its inadequacy of
description nor the reason for its introduction into the language.

>> A pirate is a person who boards ships uninvited, murders, rapes, and
steals
>> physical property.

>That's one meaning of the word; another is a person who infringes on other
>people's copyrights, especially (but not necessarily) with the purpose of
>a financial gain. I'm sure that your favourite dictionary will be able to
>clue you in.

I concede that your definition is correct in an evolving language, but I
will personally avoid using it and encourage others to do the same.
Webster's of 1913 agrees with me.  WorldNet and the Free Online Dictionary
of Computing agree with you.  (http://www.dict.org).

>Let's leave political correctness in the dustbin of history where it
properly
>belongs.

I'm not arguing for political correctness.  I find the social
over-regulation of speech abhorrent.  I would rather not ask people to
modify their speech patterns.  Unfortunately this fight is going to deal a
lot with image, and calling people evil nasty hacker PIRATE degenerates is
the sort of thing that won the DeCSS case for the MPAA.

>If you want copyright infringement to become a noble affair, I suggest
>you look into the possibility of proudly using the word "pirate" - like
black
>people have done with "nigger" , or gay people with "gay".

It worked for "gay" which was a happy term to begin with, but it did not
work for "nigger" which -- here in North Carolina -- I am socially forbidden
from saying in public.  (It actually upsets people.)  I'm not championing
the cause of piracy, I'm merely trying to keep it linguistically separate
from raping and pillaging which often require stronger laws and penalties.

>> Drafters of copyright law coined the term piracy in order to help justify
>> the need for laws like the DMCA.

>Get a historical dictionary, or a clue, or both.

I was not referring to US law.  Historically, the term was used to make
infringing printers look bad to people who otherwise wouldn't care.  I do
not have a historical dictionary (until they put the Oxford English online
in its entirety) but I do have two or three clues.  I apologize for telling
you how to talk, and ask that you understand significance of our words and
thier connotations.

-Adrian P. Dunston

__
(sourceCode == freeSpeech)	//Support the EFF.
http://www.x-omega.com/shirtdept