[free-sklyarov] Re: FW: [nylug-talk] Lobby Group for Fair USe, DMCA (fwd)

Bill Barry barryb at proaxis.com
Thu Jul 26 14:47:56 PDT 2001

I used this sort of idea on a poster at the Portland Oregon Protest.
The poster was

Sentence This
Decipher To
Illegal Is It.
     Copyright (C) 2001 Bill Barry

Several people watching the protest understood the sign and got them meaning.

I also had a flyer which said

SENTENCE THIS  DECIPHER TO  ILLEGAL IS IT
        Copyright (C) 2001 by Bill Barry

Notice!
The above sentence is protected by the Digital Millenium
Copyright Act which states in part:

  No person shall manufacture, import, offer to the public,
  provide, or otherwise traffic in any technology, product,
  service,... primarily designed or produced for the purpose
  of circumventing a  technological measure that effectively
  controls access to a work protected under this title.

  Any person who violates this willfully and for purposes of
  commercial advantage or private financial gain--

  (1) shall be fined not more than $500,000 or imprisoned for not
  more than 5 years, or both, for the first offense; and

  (2) shall be fined not more than $1,000,000 or imprisoned for
  not more than 10 years, or both, for any subsequent offense.

If you wish to legally read the above sentence please donate $3000
to the Electronic Frontier Foundation (www.eff.org) and I will
send you the appropriate decryption software.

Bill Barry
Copyright Holder
barryb at proaxis.com