[free-sklyarov] MATERIALS for sign party [Re: [Free-sklyarov-announce] Sunday Sign-Making Session in Berkeley]

Alex Fabrikant alexf at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Jul 26 15:59:40 PDT 2001

Since Vadim forgot to mention this, I'd like to remind people to BRING
YOUR OWN MATERIALS if you can. Of course materials get passed around once
we're there, but last time there was certainly no excess of materials (as
a matter of fact, Ryan ended up doing an extra late-night run to K-Mart
around 11pm...)

Specifically, the following were found useful last time (all those
present were new to the signmaking business, so this is a genuine first
round of "lessons learned"):

MATERIALS:

- Posters -- white is most commonly used, but neon and black are
also usable (bringing 4-6 is advisable since we should try to make at
least 1.5-2 full signs per person present so as to be able to provide more
signs to those who just show up at the protest)
- Large cardboard boxes (a la "backbone" of a sign; 2-3 poster-sized
pieces should be enough, but excesses can also be used as sign handles)
- Thick permanent markers. The thicker the better. Black is most useful,
but a set of colored markers will also be useful.
- Pencils/erasers
- Spraypaint, especially white spraypaint if you get black posters (one
can was enough for the whole group last time, but we may get better
attendance this time); bringing gloves may also be well-advised if you
want to use spraypaint
- Stencils (the bigger the better; multiple sets can prove useful)
- Tape (both wide packaging tape and scotch tape, preferably transparent)
- Wooden stakes (my impression is that the optimal cross-section size is
about 2"x1", but I'm not sure; certainly don't get anything below
0.5" diameter or above 3" diameter)

TOOLS:

- Stapler/staplegun (especially with "long" staples)
- Scissors (bigger=better)
- Knife/other cutting tools (i wish i knew what that small precision
cutter tool was called -- the one we used to make new stencils...)
- Hammer/small nails (?) (not available last time; could be useful for
attaching signs to poles)

OTHER:

- Most importantly, bring GOOD IDEAS for slogans! We have a list of stuff
that we brainstormed up the last time, but first of all most of them have
been used, and also quite a few are too adobocentric (which I hereby
declare a valid word)

--
-alexf