[free-sklyarov] What did he do IN THE US that was 'wrong'?

Peter D. Junger junger at samsara.law.cwru.edu
Thu Jul 26 22:30:42 PDT 2001

Ben Ford writes:

: Jon O . wrote:
:
: >
: >I did hear that he was passing out copies of some software after
: >the speech. This is UNCONFIRMED.
: >
:
: It is confirmed now ;)
:
: I have a couple of them.  He only had about 15 CDs to give out, but I
: ended up with 2 somehow.  Keep in mind, these are DEMO CDs and will only
: decrypt the first 25 pages of an eBook.

Please keep in mind that ``trafficking'' in technologies that can be
used to circumvent technological protection measures is only a crimve if
it is for commercial profit or personal financial gain.  Giving away free
copies of the software in the United States is not a crime under the
terms of the circumvention provisions, even if it could subject one to
civil liability.  (There is a big question though as to who would have
standing to sue in a civil action; Adobe clearly doesn't since they
do not own the copyright in the texts that are ``protected'' by their
encryption scheme.)

--
Peter D. Junger--Case Western Reserve University Law School--Cleveland, OH
 EMAIL: junger at samsara.law.cwru.edu    URL:  http://samsara.law.cwru.edu