[free-sklyarov] Hacker or Not?

Andrew Lawrence ausage at ausage.com
Fri Jul 27 07:47:29 PDT 2001

On July 27, 2001 09:34 am, Declan McCullagh wrote:
> Hackerdom is part of this story, like it or not, per my previous message.
> You can fight over whether Sklyarov should be labeled "hacker" or not, but
> to say hackers aren't part of the broader Sklyarov story is just plain
> false. Spin control doesn't equal lying -- except, perhaps, for some
> congrescritters.

I have been a "hacker" for over 35 years, since I was 16 years old. I have
modified the kernel of more than one operating system, been involved in
developing an debugging new communications protocols, was coding "database"
software before the word has been coined, and have pernertrated the security
of many systems, including one major financial institution.

I have never broken any laws doing any of this or ever acted with the
necessary authority. But yes I am a hacker, and proud of it. You can quote me
Declan.

A hacker is someone with a need to know how something works.  A hacker is
someone with a need to make it work better.  A hacker is someone, who went
the Vendor says, "Our machines can't do that!" proves them wrong.

It is up to talented and aware writers like you Declan to inform the world
that hackerdom is not composed of l33t h4k0z.

Hackerdom is composed of the guys who can read the blinking lights, whistle
data at 2400 baud, make your computer run 3 times faster, and smell a
penetration attempt 2 days before it happens.

Hackerdom is the people who invented operation systems, who built the
internet, who created the world wide web, who gave us free software (20 years
before RMS founded FSF, and he is one l33t h4x0r).

Hackerdom gave us private encryption that the NSA can't break. Hackerdom gave
us a way to recovery that file you accidently deleted. Hackerdom wrote the
first AV software. Hackerdom invented windows and just about everything else
that came out of PARC.

When I look at the names and accomplishments in hackerdom, from Alan Turing
to Rear Adm Grace Hopper to Richard Stallman to Steve Wozniac to Dimitry
Sklyarov I am humbled and proud to be able to name myself "HACKER".

--
Andrew Lawrence         <ausage at smoke-and-mirrors.net>
Smoke & Mirrors         http://www.smoke-and-mirrors.net