[free-sklyarov] Backlash

Xcott Craver sacraver at EE.Princeton.EDU
Fri Jul 27 11:35:10 PDT 2001

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001 proclus at iname.com wrote:

> Hmm, I've been calling Dmitry a "fair use champion".  Although some
> have attempted to paint him as a dubious hero, there is no such thing
> as a perfect hero.

	I'm a grad student too, and I just naturally called him
	a grad student.

	Within the context of the Adobe case, I'd say "whistleblower."

	Also, when telling people what the DMCA does, it's best to
	first say what it _effectively_ does, then the guts of how.
	E.g., "well, there's a law now on the books that effectively
	outlaws XYZZY in certain situations involving computers."
	XYZZY == whistleblowers, consumer product testing, etc.
	Then you say, "it does this by outlawing any act of QPRNF...."

							-S