[free-sklyarov] May be of interest. (fwd)

David Merrill david at lupercalia.net
Fri Jul 27 15:54:06 PDT 2001

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 03:03:02AM -0700, Derek Gladding wrote:
> > 4. Adobe had NOTHING to do with the arrest of Dimitry. This was a
> > unilateral decision of the Justice Dept. We were as surprised at the
> > arrest as everyone else. We have no influence with the Justice Dept as
> > to who they prosecute under United States criminal law.
>
> This is either extreme spin, or a demonstration of extreme ignorance of
> the powers that the Justice Department have. After the complaint was
> received, Dmitry *had* to be either arrested or left a free man. What
> other outcome could Adobe have expected ?

According to the affidavit signed by the FBI:

`Daryl Spano [is] technical Investigator, Investigations / Anti-Piracy,
Adobe' (page 2), and `Adobe has learned that Dmitry Sklyarov is slated
to speak on July 15, 2001 at a conference entitled Devcon-9 at Las
Vegas Nevada. Spano told me that he learned that Sklyarov is scheduled
to make a presentation related to the AEBPR software program.'
(page 4).

So, according to the FBI, Spano (Adobe) told them where to *find*
Dmitry.

Linux Documentation Project                   david at lupercalia.net

             Free Dmitri ->  http://www.boycottadobe.com
      Washington, DC Protest http://www.lupercalia.net/adobe/

How dare the government intervene to stifle innovation in the computer
industry! That's Microsoft's job, dammit.
	--MacAddict