[free-sklyarov] Protest on Monday, another place?

Mark K. Bilbo mark at blorch.org
Fri Jul 27 19:28:02 PDT 2001

On Friday 27 July 2001 18:28, mike castleman wrote:
> I'm sorry, but I must have missed something. What exactly is
> Feinstein's specific role in any of this? Or do you just dislike her?
> Remember that every Congressperson from both parties voted for DMCA.

Well, Feinstein is one of our senators, is a rather powerful person in the
USG, and is a rather strong supporter of the DCMA. You could also make the
argument that bringing this strongly to the attention of our *elected*
representatives is the better move. In that the DoJ is charged with enforcing
the law, not making the law. If the DoJ believes the law has been broken,
they really have the obligation and duty to prosecute even if half the
country is chanting outside their windows.

IAC, I think we'd head into analysis paralysis territory if we worry about
being *too* specific.  The point being to send our government a message that
we, the voters, don't approve. Making that point to an elected representative
is valid I think.

> There are plenty of politicians I dislike (most of them,
> actually). Protesting the US attorney's office makes sense because he
> is the one prosecuting Dmitry.

But, again, without Congressional (or Judicial) intervention, *can the DoJ
back off on its own? It might not even be a matter of "will." They have a
duty to enforce the law. Even if they did happen to think the law wrong
headed and unpopular.

Congress made this mess. They voted for this atrocity of a law over
everybody's objections (except, that is, the money belching corporate
lobbiests). They *are ultimately responsible. And they are accountable to us
(at least in theory eh?).

I think it's valid to tell Feinstein "you helped make this mess, now clean it
up!"

Mark (my half yen's worth for today)