[free-sklyarov] Protest on Monday, another place?

Mark K. Bilbo mark at blorch.org
Fri Jul 27 20:03:38 PDT 2001

On Friday 27 July 2001 19:43, Klepht wrote:

>     MKB> If the DoJ believes the law has been broken, they really have
>     MKB> the obligation and duty to prosecute even if half the country
>     MKB> is chanting outside their windows.
>
> This is, happily, completely untrue. If prosecutors feel that they
> don't have enough evidence to press a case, or that the "crime"
> committed is not in The People's interest to pursue, they can choose
> to drop the case. This happens all the time.

Completely? I can't agree. They have an obligation to uphold the law. Even if
it makes lots of people mad.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think this case is purely political and motivated
largely by the money belching machines of the corporate lobbiests. I've read
the complaint over and over and can't find how they get from "there's this
website over there" to "so he's trafficking!"

(Long aside: my roommate actually downloaded the entire DMCA text and has
commented that so far as he can wade through the legaleese, there *does
appear to be a provision of "offering to the public" that could be
interpreted *awfully broadly and even to the point of violating the 1st
Amendment in spades... the thing that bothers me is that its one of those
cases that could end up being fought all the way to SCOTUS before it's
overturned and, oh man, that's a long road for Dmitry... the upshot of his
reading of the atrocity of a law is that--get this--the law says we have
"fair use" rights but outlaws any and all tools we could use to actually *act
on those rights... the DoJ could wind through the courts for forever claiming
"this doesn't infringe on their rights, look, it SAYS they have rights in
this text right here!" and wiggle their way around the fact that having a
right you have no right to excersize is... not having a right at all)

<deep breath>

Anyway, I'm just speaking off the top of my head. In *theory, I wouldn't want
a DoJ that is too easily swayed by the "passions of the moment." Law
enforcement would be uneven and spastic. The law could be overturned by some
noisy protests.

But I do agree they have a badly flawed case and should be responsible enough
to give up now and NOT persue it.

IAC, the post I was responding to was questioning protesting Feinstein. I
just think that protesting our representatives is as valid as protesting the
DoJ. Maybe even shade more so? They *are* supposed to be (the previous
supposed is heavy with sarcasm of course) our representatives in the USG who
can go to the DoJ and smack them. AND it is Congress who created this
monstrosity of a law.

> I don't have numbers, but I believe the majority of criminal cases do
> not actually go all the way to sentencing. (Someone correct me if I'm
> wrong.)

I'm pretty sure you're dead on with this one.

> Unless the US Attorney's Office in Northern California is very blind,
> they should see by now that this case is weak at best, especially
> without the support of the original complainant, Adobe.

I hope they're seeing it. It's a bad case and would waste time, money, and
good will to persue.

> Right now, our focus is to convince them to hurry up and drop the
> case. Quit dragging their heels, quit making political hay out of
> having "taken down" a "cybercriminal," and let Dmitry out of jail.

I agree. But I was just rattling on about whether it made sense to protest
the Senator. I think barking at Feinstein is also valid. She helped make this
mess, she oughtta help clean it up.

Mark