[free-sklyarov] What was that russian chant? (fwd)

Anatoly Vorobey mellon at pobox.com
Sat Jul 28 07:49:27 PDT 2001

You, Christopher R. Maden, were spotted writing this on Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 06:53:35AM -0700:
> The "hotim" here can also be spelled "khochim";

No, "HO-chim" is a frowned upon, illiterate variant of "ha-TEEM",
while "ha-CHIM" is simply nonexistent. The correct variant is spelled
hotim and pronounced ha-TEEM (a as in father).

> An 'o' in the first syllable of a Russian word is pronounced more like 'a',

In an _unstressed_ syllable, be it the first or any other.

> Chto muy kha-chim'?
           ^^^^^^^^
> Kag-da' muy kha-chim'?
              ^^^^^^^^

These are incorrect, see above.

> I was wondering about that second question, though; wouldn't "when do we
> want *it*" be more correct?

No, it's perfectly acceptable in chanting to do that, to achieve better
symmetry between the corresponding phrases.

--
Anatoly Vorobey,
mellon at pobox.com http://pobox.com/~mellon/