[free-sklyarov] Mainstream Support

James S. Huggins (Free Sklyarov) FreeSklyarov at ZName.com
Sat Jul 28 12:11:10 PDT 2001

To some extent, the oppositions ability to portray the dispute as
     Hackers vs Copyright Owners
seems to work against us. (At least, that is the impression I get talking to
my non-technoid acquaintences).

Hackers vs Corporate America seems to translate in the mind of the public to
     Long Hair, Bad Dressing Types Who
     Hibernate With Computers and
     Who Talk A Language I Don't Know and
     Who Think Everything Should Be Free
                      vs
     The Struggling Author Trying to Earn a Living and
     The American Way of Business

But it also seems that there are some "mainstream" groups who share the
concerns over DMCA. In particular, libraries and educational organizations.

For example, the National Humanities Alliance wrote about digital rights
issues in 1997
http://www-ninch.cni.org/ISSUES/COPYRIGHT/PRINCIPLES/NHA_Complete.html

And the Special Libraries Association had page once (that I can't find).

Outside of the hacker and digital communities, what "mainstream"
organizations have, so far, said that they "agree"?

Which ones might?

Is anyone attempting to solicit their aid in this?

James S. Huggins