[free-sklyarov] Compromise? Balance?

Paul Gowder paul at paultopia.net
Sat Jul 28 16:39:51 PDT 2001

I'll add my own two centimes to this one.  Such commentary basically being:
that's why we're on the march.  The new anti-corporate activism is the
opposing force to this "total control" universe, and the geektavists in the
world need to get with the program.

It's not just the internet that creates the power
structure.  Fundamentally, the total informational control over the
internet is just a new dimension to the total economic control (ie.
globalism, with capital being mobile and labor being forced to stay in one
place by immigration laws, with the expected monopolistic effects), the
total political control (of bought politicians) and the total environmental
control (again, capital is mobile.  Nature is not.  if capital were
prohibited from flocking to nations with no environmental protections,
maybe the people of the several nations would have some power.) that
corporations presently have.  The Sklyarov affair is archetypal.  Capital,
a corporation, reached across international boundaries to pluck out the eye
that offended it.  It did so using its political control to enforce its
economic and informational control.  All Adobe didn't do was chop down an
old-growth forest.

It's all the same problem.  It's all the same solution -- weaken corporate
power, increase democratic power.  Hence the people in Genoa protesting the
G-8 are working for exactly the same thing as the people in San Jose
protesting the arrest of Dmitry Sklyarov.

The internet is Not Special.

         -Paul

ps.  Love the e-mail address Eric.

--
	-Paul Gowder

"It's because they're stupid. That's why everyone does everything."
     - Homer Simpson

	<paul at paultopia.net>