[free-sklyarov] My own DMCA song

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Sat Jul 28 18:41:16 PDT 2001

(with apologies not only to the Village People but also to the other
three people who have independently written parodies of "DMCA")

Young man, what has your research found?  I said
Young man, are you breakin' new ground?  I said
Young man, now you oughtta feel proud, but
THIS BOOK CAN NOT BE READ ALOUD!

Young man, there's a law on the books, I said
young man, it says readers are crooks, I said
young man, you should take a good look:
Title Seventeen, Chapter Twelve.

It's paracopyright, DMCA
Eroding readers' rights, DMCA.

They have modified our old copyright laws
to make the AAP the boss...

It's paracopyright, DMCA
Eroding readers' rights, DMCA.

You can't tape off the air; how does that make you feel?
You can't lend books to friends, under this eBook deal:
1201(a) is now for Real.

Young man, are you listening to me?  I said
Young man, you say 1201(g) has ex-
emptions for your research?
But you got to know this one thing!

Industry still calls the shots.  I said
young man, if you speak of your thoughts, and you
go there, then the DMCA
will let Ashcroft put you away.

It's paracopyright, DMCA
Eroding readers' rights, DMCA.

They have modified our old copyright laws
to make the AAP the boss...

It's paracopyright, DMCA
Eroding readers' rights, DMCA.

You can't shift your formats, 'cause they said you would steal,
1201(a) is now for Real!

Young man, they want us to confuse making
copies with just trying to use software
to let blind folks peruse
digital books locked up tight!

That's why someone has to stand up, and say
listen, reading's a human right; there's a
bad law called the DMCA --
Free Mr. Sklyarov today!

It's paracopyright, DMCA
Eroding readers' rights, DMCA.

They have modified our old copyright laws
to make the AAP the boss...

DMCA, squashing speech, it's the DMCA...

Young men, young men, there's no need to jail them.
Young men, young men, work for this bad law's end!

DMCA, kills fair use, it's the DMCA...

Young men, young men, there's no need to jail them.
Young men, young men, work for this bad law's end!

DMCA, just reject the DMCA...

Young man, young man, are you listening to me?
Young man, young man, don't trust 1201(g)!

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org>  | Lending, printing, copying, giving
Temp.  http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/  | and text-to-speech are permissions