[free-sklyarov] What did he do IN THE US that was 'wrong'?

Mark K. Bilbo mark at blorch.org
Sun Jul 29 10:12:12 PDT 2001

On Sunday 29 July 2001 03:55, Peter wrote:
> But the problem is that the DoJ wants to set an example with this case
> just to proof that this law is 'right'.  So, they will do everything
> they can to proscecute Dmitry.
> Peter

I'm afraid you have a point there. With Ashcroft launching nine new
"cybercrime" units and promising to crack down on "cybercrime," this is
liable to be a rough ride.

One thing that disturbs me is that governments--when they get into oppressive
moods--tend to abuse the rights of less defensible folk then edge their way
over. The Mitnick case was hard to rally support because he did do some
seriously wrong things. Even though that was NOT an excuse for the abuse of
his rights. Now the USG has found a "Russian hacker!" to pick on, to gauge
whether they can get away with this. Next... ???

Now, I'm no Conspiracy! freak. But I do think there are things I tend to call
"conspiracies of convenience." Governments always tend to try to increase
their power and reach. Even the "founding fathers" warned about this, worried
over it, sought to curb it.

Here we have a case where the DoJ/FBI can increase their power and reach.
That interest is aligned with some scum corporate executives who want the USG
to defend their stock options and bonuses. I think they found Dmitry a
convenient target to kind of "test the waters" and see we'd all be too scared
to oppose them, reassuring ourselves with "well, it's just some Russian
hacker anyway." Or some such.

Of course, if they get away with this one, the next time it could be one of
*us.

Mark