[free-sklyarov] Send your feedback to MEMBERS of the ASSOCIATION OF AMERICAN PUBLISHERS

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Sun Jul 29 20:20:57 PDT 2001

James S. Huggins (Free Sklyarov) writes:

> The Association of American Publishers, which has come out in strong support
> of the Sklyarov prosecution, has around 300 company and corporate members.
>
>  http://www.publishers.org/home/abouta/members.htm
>
> A review of this list shows some members who, perhaps, would be more likely
> to lend an effort. These include Association of Research Libraries, Council
> on Library and Information Resources, OCLC Online Computer Library Center,
> many university presses, New York Academy of Sciences, etc.
>
> Or am I just being optimistic?

People keep joining this list and not having heard about the AAP
statement and its aftermath. :-(

So far, people have written to 8-10 AAP members and gotten statements
from at least three of them distancing themselves from the AAP's
statement.  The USACM reply criticized the DMCA at some length.

There have already been at least two calls for people to contact AAP
members to let them know what's going on or ask them whether they
actually support Dmitry Sklyarov's imprisonment.

One of these calls was from the EFF and the other is mine, and I am
continuing to keep track of correspondence with publishers:

http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/publishers.html

I know we've got people in various universities -- come on, write your
university press, if it's an AAP member.  We have actual grad students
who could be _publishing_ through these presses sometime soon...

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Its really terrible when FBI arrested
Temp.  http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/ | hacker, who visited USA with peacefull