[free-sklyarov] Re: Science Friday interview

Robin Gross robin at eff.org
Mon Jul 30 01:42:38 PDT 2001

Thanks!  I appreciate your comments and am always interesting in hearing
how I can improve this message.  Thank you for your support and energy in
this fight.

All the best,
Robin

At 11:33 AM 7/27/2001 -0700, Roger Kramer wrote:
>Dear Ms. Gross,
>
>I have been following and participating in the Sklyarov case since last week.
>I was encouraged that NPR _finally_ woke up to the issue and interviewed you
>on Science Friday this morning.
>
>You and the EFF certainly know more about the legal angles and probably how
>to best spin this to the public than I, but I was disturbed by one oversight
>this morning.
>
>I believe that there must be public acknowledgement that, yes, there ARE
>illegal uses for the eBook Reader just as there are quite similar illegal
>uses for a hairpin (lock picking) and absolutely any other tool or technology
>you care to name. If this sort of full disclosure is not made, it sounds to
>those capable of understanding the issue like we're hiding something. You
>emphasize that there are legal issues, but I'd focus on the distinction
>between "tool" and "intent." I realize there are certain
>"breaking-and-entering" images we want to avoid, but blue-collar America, in
>particular, may actually grasp the issue if  Title 17, Section 1201 is
>paraphrased as a ban on hammers and crowbars. Even the consumate layperson
>could understand that's bloody absurd.
>
>Thanks for your work!
>Roger Kramer
>mailto://rwkramer@premier1.net
>http://www.premier1.net/~rwkramer

Robin D. Gross - Cyberspace Attorney @ Law
Electronic Frontier Foundation
454 Shotwell Street, San Francisco, CA 94110
e: robin at eff.org w: http://www.eff.org
p: 415.863.5459 f: 415.436.9993
http://www.eff.org/cafe
http://www.eff.org/Intellectual_property/