[free-sklyarov] Mainstream Support

Rob McGee SerrQzvgev at zxmail.com
Mon Jul 30 06:29:01 PDT 2001

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 08:36:29AM -0000, ca2027001 at sneakemail.com wrote:
> It would be great to be able to greet Dmitry at the
> airport. The only problem is knowing *which* flight
> Dmitry is on. Discovery had an excellent show "on the

Maybe not. There are many possibilities. "Con air" is not yet so big
that there are as many flights as a commercial airline would have. (OT
observation: as the drug wars continue to increase the percentage of
decent americans behind bars, that could easily change.) If we are
alerted to a flight from OKC to SJC there's a high probability that
Dmitri is aboard.

If we have the tip -- there is a lot of time to act. A C-130 is not that
fast, I think around 300 knots airspeed, and remember, there's almost
always a headwind for westbound flights. Hours. Almost twice what it
would take a jet to get there. Depending on the wind, maybe longer.

With the tip, someone on the inside of the defense (EFF or his att'y's
office) could call the prison and ask to speak to him. Can't do it? Why
not? Can you have him call me ASAP? Why not?

Even with some delays in passing the information around, it's quite
possible that local folks could get at least an hour's advance notice to
be there. And yes, it's possible too that they might deplane within view
of a crowd of geeks. The controllers could probably tell you where and
how the thugs unload their victims (it's certainly not using a modern
jetway.)

Thanks for the reply, Phill. This is really a suggestion for those on
the inside to consider. And it's possible that I've said too much on a
list which is almost certainly being monitored by the bad guys. :) 'Nuff
said for now. I think I have an old PGP key on the servers listed under
`echo v812 at vanzr.pbz | rot13`. I can be reached at that address, or also
`echo ebo0 at ehaobk.ab | rot13`. (For the time being I am reading the mail
to this address, although probably soon I will have procmail throw away
the non-list mail.)

Anyway, the NATCA idea is one for all of us. Being geekish with likely
libertarian attitudes, they're naturally on our side. Ask your local
NATCA about JUD flights -- it's a way to get a conversation going, and
it might lead to some more support for your local efforts, too. Tip: if
you have both an ATC tower and ARTC center nearby, chances are that the
ARTC center is by far the larger facility. Another tip: I know we have
list people from Albuquerque and Denver. There are centers in both
places (ZDV is actually in Longmont), and Dmitri will be flown through
either or both. Anyone from Utah? There's another center at SLC.

Money-where-my-mouth-is disclaimer: I'm over an hour away from the
nearest ATC tower, and about 3 hours away from the nearest ARTCC. I'd
like to pitch in, but I can't do much in this regard.

Hoping to free Dmitri,
    Rob - /dev/rob0