[free-sklyarov] MSNBC story

Ethan Straffin drumz at best.com
Tue Jul 31 11:48:21 PDT 2001

proclus writes:
> Here is another story that you can rate for ranking.
>
> MSNBC: Digital copyright act harms research
> http://www.msnbc.com/news/607194.asp?0dm=C12PT&cp1=1

I especially like this paragraph:

--
LetÕs say a researcher suspects that a computer media player is acting as
spyware - reporting back to the vendor what songs or movies are being

As focused as I am on fair use, I hadn't fully considered this privacy
angle, though it now seems obvious.  I think this could be a really good
point to make in our evangelization to the general public; it can be
explained without too much technical gobbeldygook, and it hits them where
they live if they're at all concerned about their privacy.

Ethan
--
"No man, woman, or child is safe when Congress is in session."
                                                -- Will Rogers