[free-sklyarov] NC Call to Protest

Adrian Dunston adunston at jetstream.com
Tue Jul 31 14:23:05 PDT 2001

>From: Rob McGee
>On rereading, I see that this isn't exactly true. The charge is that
>Dmitri himself was doing the "trafficking" in a circumvention device.

	In the television interview with Dmitry, he not only denied selling
it (I'm pretty sure), but denied having even made the decision to sell it.
I'd like to be truthful when I send this out, but just like the American
press, I want to report the truth that helps our cause the most.  If you
have a quote of the actual charges from the FBI or the US Attorney, that
would help me out the most.  Otherwise, it would be nice to know if the
CD/money actually crossed his hands, or if he helped to set up the US server
for sales from Elcomsoft in Moscow.

> > the world from his wife and two young daughters.

	I've changed this to "young son and daughter" and the lawsuit bit to
"defense".  Thanks so much for the corrections.  Please get back to me as
soon as you can.  There are a lot of places I'm planning on putting this
tonight.

>FROM: Sonia Arana
> > Dmitry Skylarov is the first man ever to be jailed for telling people
how to
> > decode and read a book.
>
> Also, I doubt that's really true. A lot of people have been jailed and
> even murdered by gov'ts for a lot of crazy reasons. Yes, even the great
> USA does stuff like that all the time, past and present.

>indeed, it was illegal to teach a slave to read. i suspect the penalties
>for being a (known) literate slave were higher than teaching one (death
>vs. imprisonment).

This is a sensational statement which was correct to my knowledge.  I'm
trying to qualify it, but I do not want it to lose impact.  Mentioning
slavery would help to strike a cord in most Americans.  Maybe I should try
to use that.

"Dmitry Sklyarov is the first man since the Emancipation Proclamation to be
jailed for telling people how to decode and read a book."

If you can provide another specific example as to how this is false, please
do.  I think it's too good a propaganda device to give up because we're
pretty sure our evil government has done something dirty like that before.

-Adrian P. Dunston

__
(sourceCode == freeSpeech)  //Support the EFF.
http://www.x-omega.com/shirtdept