[free-sklyarov] NC Call to Protest

Rob McGee SerrQzvgev at zxmail.com
Tue Jul 31 15:06:48 PDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 02:22:20PM -0700, Adrian Dunston wrote:
> 	In the television interview with Dmitry, he not only denied selling
> it (I'm pretty sure), but denied having even made the decision to sell it.
> I'd like to be truthful when I send this out, but just like the American
> press, I want to report the truth that helps our cause the most.  If you
> have a quote of the actual charges from the FBI or the US Attorney, that

OMG, those are all over the place! The spooks themselves issued a press
release bragging about their victimization of Dmitri. They have that,
along with PDF copies of the complaint and all documents, at their Web
site:
    http://www.usaondca.com/
(notice it's a .com and no a .gov -- how perfectly appropriate!)

It has also been converted to HTML and is also available in many places:
    http://cryptome.org/usa-v-sklyarov.htm
is one among many. That page also has links back to pages at eff.org.

> would help me out the most.  Otherwise, it would be nice to know if the
> CD/money actually crossed his hands, or if he helped to set up the US server
> for sales from Elcomsoft in Moscow.

AFAIK, no, you're right about him not having been directly involved in
sales or marketing of AEBPR. He did hand out approximately 15 demo CD's
at DefCon according to people who were there, but that fact is not cited
in the complaint. (I do expect, though, that it will be brought up in
the trial.)

> "Dmitry Sklyarov is the first man since the Emancipation Proclamation to be
> jailed for telling people how to decode and read a book."
>
> If you can provide another specific example as to how this is false, please
> do.  I think it's too good a propaganda device to give up because we're
> pretty sure our evil government has done something dirty like that before.

Sure. Literacy tests were a popular method of disenfranchising blacks
before the success of the civil rights movement. Well, I guess you're
right: probably no one was jailed for helping blacks pass their voter
literacy tests. They would have been lynched instead.

Poll worker (to white voter): How do you spell "dog"?
White voter: d-a-w-g
Poll worker: Here's your ballot. Next? (to black voter) How do you spell
	"rhododendron"?
Black voter: r-h-o-d-o-d-e-n-d-r-o-n
Poll worker: Wrong. (to armed thug) Deputy, show this boy out. Next?

> 	I've changed this to "young son and daughter" and the lawsuit bit to
> "defense".  Thanks so much for the corrections.  Please get back to me as
> soon as you can.  There are a lot of places I'm planning on putting this

You're welcome; I hope this was fast enough. :) Good luck.

    Rob - /dev/rob0