[free-sklyarov] NC Call to Protest

Rob McGee SerrQzvgev at zxmail.com
Tue Jul 31 20:49:06 PDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 07:59:40PM -0700, Bob Smart wrote:
> > Why would we want to save time, money, and embarrassment for the US
> > gov't? This DMCA crap is not an aberration of an otherwise good and just
> > system. It is the typical behavior of a tyranny.
> >
> > I recognize that few of you will agree with me, but perhaps over time,
> > as you see things like this and have some similar experiences of your
> > own, you will learn what I have learned.
>
> Personally, I DO agree with you...but still I must disagree with you.  You're
> absolutely right, this is not aberrant--but if we want to gain the support of
> the American public, calling the American public a bunch of Nazi pigs is
> probably not the most effective strategy for doing it.  Instead, that's a

Oh Bob, I fully understand that, and I think in one post in this thread
I did indicate as much. :) I wasn't really suggesting that Adrian reword
that particular passage. Sometimes I have to vent a bit. You know how it
is, I'm sure. For me that kind of rhetoric is offensive ...

> dandy method for persuading people that Dmitry and his little geek friends
> ARE true enemies of the Republic who don't love America, don't love their
> mothers, and richly deserve to rot in jail.

... just as my rhetoric is offensive to americans. :) The difference is
that if our viewpoint was more prevalent, we wouldn't be trying to
exterminate (or jail, which is not much different IMO) those who
disagree with us, as americans often do. (I do expect to end up in jail,
but I'm trying to lay low at least until my children are older.)

> The government isn't "embarrassed" about this at all.  It may or may not be

No, but "the gov't" is not monolithic, either. A lot of people in the
legislative branch, as well as some in the executive, might squirm at
the prospect of losing technical conferences to Mexico and Canada in the
name of freedom. Most americans have a big fantasy about being THE "land
of freedom" -- best in the world, blah. They're not going to like this
if it interferes with their fantasies.

Which leads me to other matters, coming back on topic about how we might
be able to help Dmitri. I've mentioned the Russian angle in a fork off
of this thread. But there is no reason for it to be limited to Russia!
If a few "respectable" countries (as defined in US public opinion, I
mean) issue travel alerts advising their citizens against travel to the
USA because of human rights abuses and extraterritorial jurisdiction
claims, that might cause some of the people who comprise "the gov't" to
become uncomfortable and to take notice of the situation.

And it might also get the attention of (and mobilize the lobbying power
of) the US domestic tourism and hospitality industry. Since economic
interests are usually the force behind US public policy, with economic
pressure being applied we might see the policy change. Just like Adobe
did, backing down from their hard-line stance.

Thanks for your reply.

    Rob - /dev/rob0