[free-sklyarov] A natural ally -- Stephen King?

Michael D. Crawford crawford at goingware.com
Tue Jul 31 22:33:03 PDT 2001

Stephen King made a nationwide motorcycle tour a few years ago on behalf of
independent bookstores.

I saw him when he spoke at the Santa Cruz Civic Auditorium after visiting
Bookshop Santa Cruz.

Basically his point was that the small bookstores had made him famous when he
was just starting out, but big bookstore chains and the online sites only make
efforts to promote authors who are already known to be best-selling.

I don't remember all of what he said but the general tone of independence and
doing the right thing he spoke about would suggest he would support our cause.

Bangor is just a couple hours away for me now (I moved to Maine) so if someone
could arrange a meeting I could go and meet with him conveniently.

You probably don't want to bother sending an email as he must get torrents of
fan mail.  I would suggest sending him a letter via FedEx or Express Mail.  I
don't know his postal address but his house in Bangor is someone famous for once
being a favorite of local halloween trick-or-treaters.  It shouldn't be too hard
to find out.

Mike

--
Michael D. Crawford