[free-sklyarov] Fwd: Smell Test for a Certain Unconfirmed Meeting Report

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Wed Oct 10 15:55:47 PDT 2001

on Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 08:01:22AM -0600, Jonathan Corbet (corbet-fs at lwn.net) wrote:
> > This report fails the "smell test".  It sounds like the quotes have at
> > least been doctored to provide red meat to the opposition.
>
> In fact, it seems to have been identified as a hoax:
>
> 	http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/10/10/1245203&mode=thread

Not identified as, but strongly suspected.  I continue to suspend
judgement, it's plausible but unproven, and suspicious, all at the same
time.

From the Cypherpunks list, John Young (Cryptome's maintainer) writes:

    We're pursuing the matter though Tony Smith at the Register seems to
    be washing his hands of it. And we have asked a couple of wizards
    help check out the source of the messages we have received, now two
    -- the latest last evening (with a possibility the source is a
    provocateur of the infotainment industry aiming for sympathy
    legislation).

    Here's our latest message to our always trustworthy source:

    -----

    Response to your message last evening:

    The Register has today recanted its story about the RIAA meeting.

    How do you want to handle this now? Ready to be named, your full
    messages published on Cryptome, or do you want to provide
    substantiation for your messages and keep your identity concealed?
    Or perhaps another thoughtful approach to loft this story to a
    higher level. Interest will be high for a few more hours -- or many
    days if you come through with authentic evidence. Want to talk on
    the phone, be on TV with a mask, then fax us your meeting notes for
    one of the prime participants, provide proof of employment with a
    media corporation. All as easily done as this message.

    John
    Tel: 212-873-8700
    Fax: 212-787-6102

    -----