[free-sklyarov] courses of action

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Mon Sep 10 18:01:59 PDT 2001

on Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 04:49:52PM -0700, Jeme A Brelin (jeme at brelin.net) wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, tack wrote:
> > I was thinking that convincing our congresspersons through letters,
> > protests and petitions may fall on deaf ears.
>
> You're right.  The Congresspeople don't care at all.
>
> But the protests and petitions are there to educate the public at large.

> > 5.  Protests at Disney stores to counter SSSCA.  "Mommy, why are those
> > people shouting"?  I think it's a grave enough law to mandate just up
> > and having a sit in, sans permits if that's the only way, in front of
> > the entry to the store.  Most peole don't even know who Adobe is or
> > even care, but they sure know what Disney is, and care.  This would be
> > a prime venue to distribute Stallman's "Right to read".
>
> This would be a really good idea if Disney fans weren't so rabid.  There's
> no way you're going to convince a forty year old woman in a Tigger T-shirt
> that Disney is evil... regardless of evidence.

Sure, let's just roll over and die.

The Adobe protests weren't going to do anything either.  So...why was it
that I found myself walking backwards leading a group of some sixty
protesters back to their HQ in San Jose this July, after we got a phone
call from inside "Hey, psst, bring 'em back here, that's really
helping".

Companies are highly risk averse.  Disney customers are also likely to
be averse to walking through or past a crowd of people who are telling
them that their rights to make and replay videos is in jeopardy.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>          http://kmself.home.netcom.com/