[free-sklyarov] AAP at it again - "DMCA essential to the future of E-Commerce"

Xcott Craver sacraver at EE.Princeton.EDU
Sat Sep 22 11:03:23 PDT 2001

On Sat, 22 Sep 2001, Vladimir Katalov wrote:

> http://www.publishers.org/home/press/092001speech.htm
> Some excerpts:
> >                                                   No reasonable
> > person on the planet believes that a totally secure encryption
> > system can be developed. Any encryption can be cracked, just as with
> > patience and determination, any lock can be picked.

	The standard cop-out used by creators of fraudulent snake-oil.
	"Well, *no* toy is absolutely 100% safe in *all* instances."

	There is a very big, very clear line separating this eBook
	technology from real encryption software which experts trust.
	The eBook stuff isn't even possible in theory, much less practice.

	I know this has been repeated countless times, but it just
	annoys me that they must drag down the entire industry by
	suggesting *everything* is as crummy as their pretend
	technologies that never really did anything.

> > The law permits
> > an exemption for research, so that if you discover a weakness in my
> > encryption system and inform me, that's legal.

	I wish people would agree on this.

						=Xcott