[free-sklyarov] Max Cleland (GA) response to Sklyarov case

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Wed Sep 26 14:27:07 PDT 2001

on Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 02:38:29PM -0400, mickey (mickeym at mindspring.com) wrote:

> Below is the text of a letter that I received from my state senator...
>
> mickeym
>
> Thank you for contacting me regarding the arrest of Russian programmer
> Dmitry Skylarov and his employer Elcom Ltd.  I appreciate hearing from
> you on this matter.
>
> As you know, the patent and copyright system is established by Article
> I, Section 8, Clause 8 of the United States Constitution:

Congress's authority in 17 USC 1201 derives from the Commerce clause,
not the copyright clause.  1201 is not copyright legislation, despite
its inclusion under the Copoyright title.

> "Congress Shall Have the Power . . . To promote the Progress of
> Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and
> Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and
> Discoveries . . . " This clause allows an inventor or creator to
> temporarily exclude others from the use of their information without
> compensation, and it places information associated with an invention
> in the public domain.

Exclusive rights are subject to 16 exemptions under copyright law,
including, specifically, fair use (17 USC 106).

> Congress has passed legislation such as the Digital Millennium
> Copyright Act (DMCA) to enforce copyrights in the new digital era.

Sieg heil Disney!

> Mr. Skylarov has been released on bail and could face a prison term up
> to five years.

Twenty-five years as I've heard it stated.

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org