[free-sklyarov] Copyright Contradictions

Ruben I Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Fri Aug 9 00:28:03 PDT 2002

This is the Kind of thing NY Fair Use is Focused on...

Well Done!

We have to keep hammering it just like that, line for line on
these arguements, just as they are laid out.

Jack Valenti and July 17th, Washington DC, Department of
Commercie DRM Workshop:

        "A little Demagogary Never Hurt anyone"

Jack agian in 1982:

        "The VCR is to Movies like the Boston Strangler
        to Young Women"

Ruben Safir:  President of NYLXS and Co-Founder of NY Fair Use
August 2002:

        "Jack Valanti is to Private Ownership and Property
        as the Boston Strangler to the VCR"

Jack Valenti again at the DRM Workshop:

        "If this body connot find a way to agree to find
        a way which will protect private property from
        Theft then we'll just have to go to Congress and
        get it done"

Ruben Safir at the Press Conference after the Workshop:

        "I completely agree with Jack Valenti.  Congress
        has to step in and protect our private property
        from theft.  It's my damn disk, my damn computer.
        If someone breaks into my home and steals my computer
        and my DVD's, who calls the cops and files the police
        report?

        Me or Universal Pictures?

        DRM is Theft.  Congress must pass a law which will
        protect the property of every owner of a computer
        and purchaser of Digital Information by outlawing
        anything which prevents the full enjoyment of their
        property.  We don't need prior aproval of Warner
        Brothers, Jack Valenti, or Barry Sorkin to use our
        computers to augment our enjoyment of our property.
        There is no forced contract to a cash sale.  Forcing
        a contract on the public which they didn't negotiate
        as equal partners is a form of slavery no free citizen
        can put up with.

        That's why we propose a New Fair Use Bill, one which
        guarantees that Copyright is secondary to the
        Constitutional Right of Security in ones Home and
        with one's pocessions.  Because Copyright is secondary
        to my property rights in my home and Congress has to make
        it clear.

        If anyone should be forced into a license, then Bertleson
        should be forced to License to Listen.com.  That's why we
        gave them the limited exclussive Monopoly in the first place,
        to make sure the material is published.  If they don't want to
        publish, too bad, make them do it anyway or strip them of
        their Monopoly.

        How can we can we continue to expect to maintain a free
        society if we can't accumulate, copy and archive on our
        digital systems and information.  How are we expected to
        be able to publish from annotated facts, with references
        to the original works when everything on the internet can
        expire or disapear.  We have to be able to copy to archive.
        It's essential to our politcal speech, or for that matter
        our abilty to have party music mixed to our own enjoyment
        on Saturday Night."

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 12:20:44AM -0400, Seth Johnson wrote:

> (I sent this to Declan but he didn't put it out on
> POLITECH.  You might want to read Charles Sims' comments
> from POLITECH, pasted below, first.  Sims represented the
> movie studios against 2600 magazine.  His comments were in
> response to Declan's posting of Siva Vaidhyanathan's
> Copyright Cudgel article.  -- Seth)

Brooklyn Linux Solutions