[free-sklyarov] ElcomSoft verdict: Not guilty

chandler chandler at yomogi.or.jp
Tue Dec 17 11:30:35 PST 2002

Yes, this is an odd business. The judgement seems to be just woolliness
(I suppose that's Legal Mind for you)

[snip]
> U.S. Assistant
> Attorney Scott Frewing charged that company representatives knew all
> along that they were violating the DMCA by designing and offering the
> software to the public.

Interesting thought: the programmers and management in a Russian company
in Russia are assumed to spend their time thinking about US law.
Whatever the US government might think, I don't believe any other
government has ever acknowledged this supposed pan-galactic jurisdiction
for one particular country. Or is it assumed that in the same way,
American programmers spend lots of their time boning up on Egyptian,
Venezuelan, and Japanese law?

> ... turned on ElcomSoft's state of mind during the period it was offering
> the software.

I should think anyone who is thinking constantly about all the laws of
the hundred whateveritis countries that belong to the United Nations
would have a pretty complicated state of mind, actually.

Brian Chandler
geo://Sano.Japan.Planet_3
Jigsaw puzzles from Japan at:
http://imaginatorium.org/shop/