[free-sklyarov] Statement of principles?

Jei jei at cc.hut.fi
Thu Jan 10 12:40:46 PST 2002

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Bill Godfrey wrote:

> Points for discussion. Are we for or against...
>
>  o The traditional principle of copyright? (absolish copyright entirely?)
>  o Regional restrictions? (Like DVD regions, not PAL/NTSC.)
>  o Right to sell media second hand.

If companies want their intellectual property to have the
same protections afforded to their physical goods, then so
should the consumers have equal rights with software products
as they have with the physical goods they purchase.

I think the comparison of software to a car is a very valid
one and should be applied whenever possible.

It is totally ridiculous that software companies should be
treated any differently in their relationship to consumers
or be afforded liberties that other companies do not have
with their products they sell.

Or consider, should we perhaps extend the same ridiculous
liberties to car manufacturers?

We are now headed for IPO tyranny, sponsored by Microsoft,
MPAA, RIAA, etc, which without a clue, is happily enforced
by the FBI.

A government of the people should work for the good of the
people, not just the corporations.