[Seth-Trips] Bay Area Veg[etarian] Fair, Santa Clara, February 9

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Sat Jan 19 18:45:22 PST 2002

begin  Nick Moffitt  quotation:
> Quoth vegfair.com:
> > THE FIRST 100 ATTENDEES WILL RECEIVE
> > A 1/2 POUND BAG OF DELICIOUS VEGAN COOKIES
> > BY ORGANICA FOODS.
> > www.organicafoods.com
>
> I have yet to determine the subjective validity of the DELICIOUSness
> claim.

	Well I'm munching on them right now (I bought a bag at the
yuppie grocery store down the street), and I must say that the claims
of DELICIOUSness are not unfounded!

	They are typical examples of vegan baking.  they obviously use
heavy vegetable or nut oils to compensate for the lack of butterfat,
and it lends a crumbly oily texture to them.  The cookies pictured on
the site are of the penut butter almond chocolate chip variety, and
they rely heavily on the filling (nuts and chocolate chips) to carry
them.

	The image on the bag is disappointingly not the way the
cookies themselves look.  The texture as I bite into the cookie is
gritty enough that I always half-worry that they were made with
coconut (which is one aspect of vegan baking that I can't stand), but
it usually turns out to be the peanut butter or an almond that has me
worrying.

	I suspect that they're only half-baked, since the inside is
mostly peanut buttery.  they also appear to spoil easily, as suggested
by the plastifoil (mylar?) package that they come in.

	The two varieties that I haven't yet tried are the oatmeal
coconut cranberry chocolate chip (which likely relies as heavily on
the coconut as these do on the peanut butter for oil) and the gingered
walnut cherry chocolate chip, which are probably somewhat dryer than
these are.

	I'd love to get a vegan cookbook and learn to bake pastries
and cookies like these to see if they're any better fresh.  I suspect
that the depressingly short shelf-life is what makes so many
prepackaged vegan cookies so disappointing.

--
INFORMATION GLADLY GIVEN BUT SAFETY REQUIRES AVOIDING UNNECESSARY CONVERSATION

	01234567 <- The amazing* indent-o-meter!