[Seth-Trips] DVD CCA v. Bunner, Cal. Supreme Court, May 29

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Fri May 16 17:22:16 PDT 2003

The California Supreme Court will hear argument in _DVD Copy Control
Association v. Andrew Bunner_ on Thursday, May 29, at the courthouse at
350 McAllister Street, fourth floor.  (The California Supreme Court
frequently sits in San Francisco, so you won't have to go all the way to
Sacramento to hear the argument.  The courthouse is easy walking distance
from the Civic Center BART station.)

_DVD CCA v. Bunner_ is second on the list of cases the court will hear
in its morning session, which begins at 9:00.

The Bunner case is the first amendment case over the right to publish
DeCSS under California trade secret law.  The California Court of
Appeal previously ruled that Bunner has a first amendment right to
publish DeCSS, and the DVD CCA is seeking review of that decision.

I heard the California Supreme Court argument in _DVD CCA v.
Pavlovich_ (jurisdiction over a non-California resident sued for
publishing DeCSS) and the Court of Appeal argument in this case, and
both of them were decided in favor of the respondents (Pavlovich and
Bunner).  I strongly encourage people who are interested in free
expression to attend this argument; as at least one lawyer at EFF
said, "this is the main act".

You can read more about the Bunner case at

http://www.eff.org/IP/Video/DVDCCA_case/

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Very frankly, I am opposed to people
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   | being programmed by others.