[Seth-Trips] Petition to keep Bart open late

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Fri Nov 14 21:24:54 PST 2003

And yet more!  Wikipedia's article on signaling has a description of
the two-signal approach I mentioned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railway_signaling
> Double signalling is sometimes used; this is the method used in some
> areas of New South Wales, Australia. It derives from semaphore
> signalling. Two sets of lights are displayed, one atop each other,
> and the topmost light represents the condition of the lights at the
> current signal, and the lower is the condition at the next signal.
> Some lights have a small lamp at the bottom; this is an indication
> to continue at low speed.
>
> The double signals indicate:
>
>    * green over green: continue
>    * green over red: caution, next signal at stop
>    * green over yellow: caution, next signal at green over red
>    * red over red: stop
>          o red over red with small lamp lit: low speed, 25 km/h.

	The lack of signals in BART is the result of people not
wanting to build "some fuddy-duddy old train set" but rather some sort
of super slick "fancy new transit system".  They threw the baby out
with the bathwater, if you ask me (or countless other railfans).

	-- Lewis Mumford

end