[Taocow PBEM] Chapter XII - Through The Looking Glass Once Again

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 20:58:49 BST 2007

> > [GM]
> > "You are right, Mr. Jones." he continues.  "Old songs and tales may,
> > below their surface of pleasant rhyme and melody, hold truths that
> > the old storytellers saw fit to pass on down to us.  Not everyone has
> > forgotten them, or the prophecies."  He glances again at Osiris.
> > [/GM]

> [Amanda Connors]
> Amanda leans forward in her chair, full attention on Bruth with patented?
> curiousity.  He knew more than he was telling by far.
>
> "I've always been interested in prophecies.  Know any good ones?  Don't
> worry.  Alex and I don't scare easily."
>
> She also was doing her best to ignore the Mayor's rather clumsy advances.
> Having been to more than one society function, she knew it wasn't always
> smart to offend the man in charge.  Especially when he didn't seem to have
> any real use to the problem at hand.
>
> But it wasn't easy.
> [/Amanda Connors]

[GM]
"I know of a few... good ones." Bruth replies, his eyes narrowing.  "As I
suspect you do as well.  Your company's arrival has suspicious timing
about it, which those who subscribe to certain methods of divination might
claim is no accident.  But if there is anything to your coming with an aged
cyberknight that portends of other things to come we will have to see.  One
should be cautious in adopting prophecies, and even more cautious in
assuming that occurances that resemble prophecy are not, in fact,
coincidence."

> "My parents used to tell stories of heroes as well," tells Alex. "There
> was supposed to be this great sheriff named Walker. He was suppose to
> have been a great Texas Ranger. Supposedly, they made dozens of shows
> about him before the coming of the Rifts. I have been told by others
> that they were just stories. I don't know but the stories were inspiring."

> Ted wonders briefly if anyone would ever make shows about their
> exploits. Secretly, he entertained dreams of retiring somewhere quiet
> to write his memoirs, but he doubted he would get to start any time
> soon.
> [/Ted]

> [Amanda Connors]
> It was briefly very difficult to maintain her gaze on Bruth.  She wanted
> to roll her eyes and shake her head.
>
> It was amazing that these people seemed to have all the television
> shows of her time recorded, but absolutely none of them realized they
> were fiction.
>
> It was GalaXy Quest on a grand scale.
>
> Maybe she'd mention it later.  When they weren't here.
> [/Amanda Connors]

> [Bongo]
> Bongo chuckles. "I've heard much the same thing about my own
> namesake, Doctor Jones the archaeologist-slash-adventurer," he says
> as he glances over at Frost/Amanda with a quick grin before turning his
> attention back to Alex.  "Still, even if the tales of my Doctor Jones or
> your Ranger Walker are heavilly embellished the 'grain of truth' they're
> based on must be interesting in their own right."
> [/Bongo]

[GM]
One of the guests, an older man dressed in long grey robes, pipes up,
"My people came from Ancient New York during the dark times, and
they had just such a story of a great hero named John McLane.  When
I visited Lazlo as a lad, I saw such a show about his exploits."
[/GM]

> [Carlos]
> Carlos has been observing the proceedings and the games his companions
> have been playing. He thinks to himself, "There are much easier ways to get
> information from this Bruth." He just sits back, enjoying the evening, ready at
> moments notice should he be needed.
> [/Carlos]

[GM]
Bruth seems relieved that the talk is turning away from him.  He drains his
glass and then rises, bowing to the Prince, and then the Mayor.  "The
conversation has been stimulating, but I am afraid I must be getting home.
I shall see you at the Council next week, Your Highness and Your Worship."

With that he strides off for the door.  In short order, the Mayor, having given
up on Alex and Amanda, seems to have convinced a young serving girl to
accompany him, and bids adieu to his guests.

The Prince sits back, shaking his head.  Finally he turns back to the
company.  "It seems the party is over." he says.  "I think I would like a
word with you all, perhaps back in your quarters.  Say, perhaps, in half
an hour, if you're all feeling up to it?"

Aaron Clausen   mightymartianca at gmail.com