[Taocow PBEM] Chapter XVI - Into The Southlands

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 21:15:53 BST 2008

[Meanwhile on the boat...]

> > > [Alex]
> > > Alex was about to answer but she sees the movement of a man attacking
> > > with a vibro-knife.
> > >
> > > She opens fire with a three shot burst on him. [Strike: 9]
> > > [/Alex]

> > [GM]
> > The man, seeing Alex pull out the rifle, attempts to move out of the way
> > [Dodge: 1], but literally falls right into the shot [Damage: 16MD].  The
> > shot doesn't pierce his armor, but he drops to the ground and doesn't or
> > won't move.
> >
> > "Thank you, m'lady." Lady Louissa says and she's kicks the vibroknife
> > out of her attacker's hand.  "I owe you one."
> >
> > The rest of the crew make their way off the boat.  The attacker, keeping
> > his face down, says "I won't cause no trouble.  Just lemme go, eh?"
> >
> > Alister looks at the emptied boat.  "Well that takes care of that
> > problem. Now, does anyone know how to pilot a boat?"

> Alex waits until the whole crew has departed and is some distance from the
> boat.
>
> Once they are definitely gone, the Coalition scout responds, "I don't know
> how to pilot such a vessel. Maybe one of those on shore knows how to pilot
> the boat."

Lady Louissa looks nervously at the pilothouse.  "I've got a little
experience, mainly just small boats.  I think I could do it."
[/GM]

[Alister]
"Um..." Alister says, looking at the young woman a little apprehensively.
"We're on a river.  I hope you're..."

Suddenly Alister stiffens.  He turns towards the island.  He then turns to
Alex.  "Alex, I think our comrades have found something interesting.  We
need to get close to that island.  I don't want to swim, so I think we'd
best trust the girl."
[/Alister]

[Meanwhile on... or rather under the island...]

> > [GM]
> > Sia lifts the cloth covering the table along the north wall.  Underneath
> > can be glimpsed several weapons; ornately-carved knives, vibroblades,
> > swords, a long bow and several steel arrows.  Notably there are no
> > energy pistols or energy rifles.  Sia recognizes these to be in the
> > style of the Wolfen who live in the kingdom, or at least as it was when
> > they first came here many decades ago.
> >
> > Along the west wall is a disc-shaped object covered in this cloth.
> > Underneath is what looks a lot like a table top with a slightly
> > impressed humanoid shape, as if someone is supposed to lay on it.
> > Beneath it is a single supporting leg that is attached to the floor and
> > has several attached tubes that glow with the same bluish energy flowing
> > into it as the containers on the other wall.  Some of the tubes only
> > glow faintly, however, and one appears to be cracked and is completely
> > dark.

> "Any ideas what this is all for?" Ted whispers as he comes to stand beside
> Sia.
> [/Ted]

> [Koba]
> Koba peers at the wood in the glasses and gently raps on the glass with
> his index finger. He then peers back at Ted. "Your guess Sia is probably
> better than mine. I wonder if these pipes here connect to your table. I'm
> stumped about this glowie wood though." Koba surveys the pipes leading to
> the table and examines the one that is darkened and see if it matches up
> with a tube against the east wall.
> [/Koba]

[GM]
When Koba raps the glass, the tubes seem to brighten ever so slightly,
before returning to a steady color.

The two sets of tubes are clearly made from the same substance, and are
transporting what seems to be the same energy, but they are different sizes.
The ones on the wall are a good inch and a half in diameter while the ones
leading to the table (or whatever it is) are only about a quarter inch in
diameter.
[/GM]

> [Sia]
> Sialillion ambles around the room in a circle, slowly, and looks around it
> with dreamy look on her face, as though trying to awaken all her senses to
> the place.  "This chamber seems ancient... most likely of Wolfen
> construction judging by the weapons on the table.  I'd wager this has
> something to do with our mummified Wolfen friend above, but for good or
> ill I am unsure...." She comes around full circle and stops in front of
> the table of weapons.  She stares at them for a long moment, then holds
> out her hand and mutters a quiet incantation.  (Sense Magic)
> [/Sia]

[GM]
None of the weapons on the table are enchanted.
[/GM]

> [Sia]
> As she examines the weapons, she says to the party with her back turned,
> in an almost disinterested and indifferent tone, "I wouldn't lie on that
> table, either.  Some kind of techno-wizardry, but broken.  Not a good idea
> to trifle with malfunctioning magics." Then as though hearing herself out
> loud gave her an idea, but said mostly to herself, "Hm, maybe that Alister
> fellow could be of service..." Without skipping a beat her hands are
> waving again and she says in a loud clear voice "Kylir! Viknar! Alister
> Quinn!  Alister, get over here, there's something you should take a look
> at." (Calling)

> While waiting for Alister, she picks up the longbow and checks it for
> heft... she's eyeing this one for herself.
> [/Sia]

[GM]
It is an exquisite weapon, made out of some sort of very light but
incredibly strong wood.  The bow string appears to be made of some sort of
megadamage material.  The bow itself has been carved with a number of
images, and judging by the styles, was carved by more than one person.
[/GM]

[Osiris]
The old cyberknight sighs.  "Alas, but Bongo would have found this place
most interesting."  He hefts one of the daggers.  "The owner of these had a
very good eye for weapons, and judging by the lack of rifles or pistols, was
more the martial sort."
[/Osiris]

> > > [Carlos]
> > > Unsure if protection is needed topside, Carlos will wait at the top of
> > > the ladder to cover the entrance and make sure nothing catastrophic
> > > happens while everyone is down in the chamber.
> > > [/Carlos]

> > [GM]
> > Carlos finds that a harder task than it may seem.  The ladder is
> > partially collapsed from the strange quake that shook the island.  An
> > entire ten foot section is gone about fifteen feet from the top, and his
> > attempt to climb fails, and he falls to the floor.  Before he falls,
> > however, he can hear some of the ruckus going on on the boat below.
> > [/GM]

> [Carlos]
> After making sure nothing is broken, Carlos looks around the chamber with
> his comrades.
> [/Carlos]

[GM]
Carlos has a few bruises, but other than that, he's fine.

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com