[CrackMonkey] witty c++ text

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre at deirdre.net
Fri Feb 18 11:37:47 PST 2000

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Monkey Master wrote:

> > Overreliance on public transit has turned you and Nick into total
> > lusers who whine only about what they can't have because they DON'T
> > FUCKING MAKE THE EFFORT TO GET THERE.
>
> 	And you do?  I never saw YOU riding a bicycle.

I have typically had a bicycle in my life. When I moved to Vermont and
they were pointless in mud season and winter (10 months/year), I stopped
owning one. I kept meaning to get one in San Francisco, but I was
struggling to get by at all. I certainly didn't have the money to buy a
front-suspension bike that I wanted.

Point in fact, if we'd spent much face-to-face time recently, you'd know
that I just bought a bicycle, paid for out of the proceeds of stock
(ticker symbol BIKE).

On the few days around 1/18, I picked up 1000 shares of BIKE in three lots
for 6 3/8 (some for 6 1/4). I sold 800 shares the other day for 9, netting
a profit of about $2000 (not to mention I still have some stock...). So I
bought one of their bikes.

Naturally, Rick wouldn't consider it a bike, but I'm rather fond of it.

> 	As I have said before, I WALK EVERYWHERE.

Which necessarily is limiting.

> 	I take muni only when I'm sick or tired.
>
> 	Also, bicycling under the extreme heat of the South Bay would
> just about do me in.  Walking from place to place caused me to sweat
> buckets.

You and Rick and I are all heat-sensitive. I also didn't bicycle much in
Florida and not at all in Raleigh for that reason.

Bicycling however is cooler than walking. It's also faster.

> I've walked El Camino from Sunnyvale to Mountain View.  It's
> the most miserable pedestrian-hostile wasteland of fast food joints
> and used car lots I've ever seen.  This does not encourage me to want
> to raise children there.

If all you'd spent time around was El Camino Real, I'd agree with you. But
you've also been to, say, the Pulgas Water Temple. (OK, that's not SOUTH
bay, but....)

--
_Deirdre   *   http://www.linuxcabal.net   *   http://www.deirdre.net
"Mars has been a tough target" -- Peter G. Neumann, Risks Digest Moderator