[CrackMonkey] witty c++ text

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre at deirdre.net
Fri Feb 18 12:25:00 PST 2000

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Peter Peterson II wrote:

> I'm sorry that you think cities are the only sufficiently
> intellectually rich environment in which to raise children.

I agree - it's sad.

> I think cities are easier on parents because there are a million
> places to send them to get them out of your hair.

However, the reason most urban families have fewer children than rural
families is that the cost of having a child is so much higher.

If good parenting is a primary factor, I say that rural areas are probably
the best, with cities and suburbs being much much worse. When I lived in
Vermont, I discovered that most parents spent a LOT more one-on-one time
with their kids. Sometimes it was just having the kid on the tractor.

> I think most urban parents assume that their kids are doing worthwhile
> things because they're not willing to be active enough to actually
> know. Some people are lucky and find good things to do. Parents and the
> people in your environment can shape these things, regardless of where
> you live.

True enough.

And there are bad influences everywhere and kids don't have the
discernment to know which are good influences and which are not. And this
is a problem no matter how good the parents are (and most of them aren't
that good).

> > 	I wouldn't DREAM of raising children in ANYTHING BUT a city.
>
> Nick, it's rather shocking how foolishly close-minded that statement is.
> SOMETIMES I THINK YOU WANT TO FAIL.

#include <aol.h>

--
_Deirdre   *   http://www.linuxcabal.net   *   http://www.deirdre.net
"Mars has been a tough target" -- Peter G. Neumann, Risks Digest Moderator