[CrackMonkey] Uh...

Monkey Master monkeymaster at crackmonkey.org
Tue Feb 22 14:48:58 PST 2000

begin  Deirdre Schmeirdre quotation:
> > ...what is a journaling filesystem, and why should I care?
>
> It logs everything that happens. You should care because you can,
> theoretically, restore the state of the system at any point in time.

	Journaling filesystems, however, are rather slow.

	If you want some of the benefits of journaling without the
speed penalty, check out softupdates, which is now a part of FreeBSD.
Softupdates adds more inteligence to the buffer caches so that one can
suspend the current state of the filesystem and do a dump, for
example.  One can also reboot a machine at any point, and fsck can run
on already-mounted filesystems.

	You don't get the rollback or undelete from softupdates, but
you DO get a speed INCREASE in filesystem performance.

	Every time anyone has mentioned softupdates on the linux
kernel list, people have said "So what?  ext3 will have journaling".
This is a stupid move, and shows ignorance of what softupdates really
does.