[CrackMonkey] Lindsey Graham

Mike Goldman whig at debian.org
Wed Feb 23 21:50:06 PST 2000

Bob Bernstein wrote:

> Sez you. I haven't mentioned 'the State' once. That's your hobbyhorse. I
> have talked about the polis. I have claimed membership in it gives us our
> lives. The 'not voting' schtick is based on denial of this fact.

Was the polis your father or your mother?  I'm not real clear on its supposed
gender.  Anyhow, it seems to me that your claim is unsupportable.  This sounds
like more of that "it takes a village" crap.  There are social forms which are
non-politic, anyhow.

> Simply put, if voting doesn't get us much, not voting gets us less.

If voting is a NEGATIVE activity, then you WANT less of it.

> Further, voting
> costs us nothing, while not voting feeds a delusion, to wit the belief that
> we are not irremediably always already 'participants,' sullied by whatever
> mires and ensnares us while it breathes life into us.

This is mystical nonsense, man.

> Opting out is for wusses.

I'm reminded of the old musical by Flanders & Swann, "At the Drop of a Hat," in
one scene of which the young prince informs his father the king that he is no
longer willing to continue the custom of cannibalism long practiced by their
people.  What kind of a wuss are you?  Next thing you know you'll be saying that
it's wrong to FIGHT people.  Don't FIGHT people? How absurd!  And it all breaks
up into peals of laughter.  I really should try to find the lyrics somewhere....

Oh, I did find the words to another track of this wonderful album, which is
incidentally, "The Gnu Song":

                  The Gnu Song

                  A year ago last thursday, I was strolling in the zoo
                  When I met a man who thought he knew the lot
                  He was laying down the law about the habits of baboons
                  And the number of quills a porcupine has got
                  So I asked him "What's that creature's name?" and he answered
"That's a helk!"
                  And I'd have gone on thinking that was true
                  If the animal in question hadn't put that chap to shame,
                  And remarked-"I ain't a helk-I'm a gnu!

                  I'm a gnu-I'm a gnu
                  The g-nicest work of g-nature in the zoo
                  I'm a gnu-how do you do?
                  You really oughtta g-know w-who's w-who
                  I'm a gnu-spelt G - N - U
                  I'm not a camel or a kangaroo
                  So let me introduce, I'm neither man nor moose
                  Oh, g-no, g-no, g-no, I'm a gnu!"

                  I had taken furnished lodgings down at Rustington-on-sea
                  Whence I travelled on to Aston-under-lyne
                  On the second night I stayed there I was wakened from a dream
                  Which I'll tell you all about some other time
                  Among the hunting trophies on the wall above my bed
                  Stuffed and mounted was a face I thought I knew
                  A bison? An oakpi? Could it be a hearty beast?
                  Then I seem to hear a voice-"I'm a gnu!

                  I'm a gnu-a-g-nother gnu
                  I wish I could g-nash my teeth at you
                  I'm a gnu-how do you do?
                  You really oughtta g-know w-who's w-who
                  I'm a gnu-spelt G - N - U
                  Call me bison or okapi and I'll sue
                  Nor am I in the least like that dreadful hearty beast
                  Oh, g-no, g-no, g-no, I'm a gnu!
                  G-no, g-no, g-no, I'm a gnu!
                  G-no, g-no, g-no, I'm a gnu!"

Meditate on THAT!