[CrackMonkey]End of an era, however short.

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Tue Feb 29 16:23:25 PST 2000

	The era of the Windows kernel overwrites is over.  It's sad,
because it was something that was on the tip of everyone's tongue,
only they were all too ashamed and reserved to say it.  Everyone who
came to me to talk about it giggled as they spoke.  They all had
friends who had been bitten by it.  They thought it was hilarious, so
long as the responsibility wasn't on their shoulders.  I was
expressing what they weren't ready to say, and allowing them to stay
on moral dry ground while enjoying the situation.

	They all knew that the perpetrator was Microsoft, for putting
out something so fragile that it would collapse like the
shoddily-built house of cards that it is.  They all lived in fear that
the system would come out and bite them.  They all felt relieved when
the whole thing came crashing down about their ears.  It was like
being fired from a job they hated.  It was time for them to wipe their
laptops and desktops clean and start over.

	I hope they started over correctly.