[CrackMonkey] Hey!

Joakim Ziegler joakim at helixcode.com
Wed Sep 6 23:37:43 PDT 2000

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 10:42:21PM -0700, Deirdre Saoirse wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Joakim Ziegler wrote:

>>> In the embedded market, I'll bet on BeOS.

>> Yeah, because if you're selling $100 electronic thingies and need an
>> embedded OS, you're sure to want to pay lots of bucks per license for
>> something you don't even get the source for, and was originally
>> designed for multimedia workstations. Yup.

> The cost of BeOS costs significantly less than the memory required to run
> X and a web browser. In fact, BeOS fits *with a gui AND a web browser* in
> the space of the Linux kernel.

As does QNX, and it was designed for this market originally, and has a longer
track record. So if I were a designer of embedded systems, why would I choose
BeOS over QNX, then? Oh, and if you want *both* free and
designed-for-embedded-use, there's always eCos.

Not to mention, what *are* the minimum resource requirements for BeOS in an
embedded environment?

I'm still unclear on *what* makes an OS originally designed for PPC-based
multimedia workstations, with the possible exception of the "this market
didn't work out for our product, let's pick another one at random" so-called
strategy, and the top exec's long history of neurotic French NIH syndrome.

> But, I forgot, you work at Helix "just throw it all in there" code. Yeah
> right.

Oh look, a former Be employee telling a "platform agonostic as long as our
software is free" company employee that I'm biased.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Helix Code web monkey - joakim at helixcode.com - Radagast at IRC
      FIX sysop - free software coder - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer