[CrackMonkey] Thai Pirates

Miles Nordin carton at Ivy.NET
Sun Jan 7 18:14:29 PST 2001

This video-on-CD thing turns out to be a lot more tangled than I
originally suspected.  There is a thing called a VCD.  It is sort
of like VHS, or Betamax, except it comes in a CD case.  In the
Philippines, VCDs are plentiful.  VCD players are more popular
than VCR's, and with good reason!  They only cost $50!  The
country is full of ``licensed for Philippine home viewing only''
VCD's of movies and popular US televisions like _Friends_ and
_The Sopranos_.  They cost about $5, except _Here on Earth_
which costs $10 because it is just that good.

Then, there are the Chineese bootlegs, which cost $1.50.  They
take home video cameras into movie theaters.  The better pirated
VCD's are made by bribing the cine---with a bribe the Pirate can
plug his pirate's video camera directly into the theater's sound
system so you can't hear people in the audience coughing in
Mandarin.

There is an improved version of VCD, called ``SVCD'', that uses
more advanced mathematics than the original version and is thus
three times sharper without any change in the physical CD-ROM
media.  SVCD was developed through the funding and endorsement
of the Chineese government.  This is not a joke.  SVCD is _the_
communist video format.  SVCDs are available only in countries
under the Chineese Military's thumb, such as Taiwan and Malaysia.
I have not seen an SVCD movie for sale in the Philippines yet,
but I have seen many SVCD players.  I've been looking all over
for Judy Ann Santos on SVCD.  Anyone know where I can write
``Ms. Santos?''  I want to send her some, uhhhh, Fan Mail.  yeah.

What appears to be the best SVCD, VCD, DVD, and MP3CD player on
the market right now is a discontinued model made by Raite.
This is a Taiwanese company that, like all nefarious criminal
organizations, has about five aliases:  Yamawaka, Tokai, Raite,
[XXX].  Notice anything about these aliases?  ra-i-te,
ya-ma-wa-ka, to-ka-i?  That's right---they are all Japanese
names!  Not only is this company trying to force consumers into
buying their product by sheer statistical namespace saturation.
Not only are they ducking bad reviews by seeming to compete with
themselves.  but they are trying to masquerade as a reputable
Japanese corporation worthy of honor and respect.  The Chineese
have neither!  They are cheap whining greedy weak short little
scheming parasitic bastards.  They will stab you with a bamboo
shim in a second.  We should never have liberated this scum from
the Empire of the Rising Sun.

The Chineese bastards did the same thing with the MP3 CD-discman
market, which is how I first fell in with this bottomsucking
algaeslurping pondscum.  Likko, Encino, Lenoxx---it's all the same
Chineese junk under different names.  You've got to remember,
these people are Commie Bastards.  It's just one big company
called CHINA over there.  ``Made in China'' does not mean the same
thing as ``Made in France.''  It is really closer in meaning to,
``Pizza Hut, A Pepsi Corporation.''  You will find the same
components, even the same software, inside Chineese products from
supposedly competing companies; and you can get a 7up in any Pepsi
restaurant.  Brand names of Chineese companies are merely a
linguistic convenience to help them export things to capitalist
countries.

Salesman:  ``Hi, Joe!''

Me:  ``Evenin'sir.  Hey.  What company's this from?''

``Sorry, sir?''

``You know.  GM, Chrysler, Sony, Philips?  Com-pan-y.''

``Made in China, sir.''

``I know China.  What _company_?''

``It play CD's, sir.''

``Yes, I can see that.  What _brand_?  You-know-this-word:  Brand?''

``China, sir.  Ah, brand, we have Sony.  You want Sony, sir?''

``Actually, no.  Sony/Tristar is on my shitlist this year.  But,
let's have a look anyway.

``Uh, but, that `Sony' looks exactly the same as the Chineese one.
What're you trying to pull, mister?''

``No, sir; Sony, sir.  High Quality.''

Nice, clean girls.  Oh God Yes.  Bring it on, China.  Welcome to
the New Economy, comrade.