[CrackMonkey] Pretty good commentary on Tron 2.0

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Mon Jan 8 22:39:16 PST 2001

----- Forwarded message from gl <gl at ntlworld.com> -----

Of course who knows if this guys is for real.  Here's my problem -
yes, nobody knew what TRON was talking about.  However, one of the
reasons it was so powerful _emotively_ was that it was heralding a
future.  And as with any future, it was not clearly defined, only
presented as being full of possibilities, and potentially beautiful to
boot (not that that's how it turned out of course).

We just don't have that anymore - precisely _because_ everyone is
familiar with computers & technology now - they have lost their
mystique.  It's a bit like making a film about people going inside a
car engine - sure it could be fun, but would it be 'magical'?
Etherial?  Hardly.

Personally I doubt the 'search engine' concept, but if it's accurate,
does that sound 'magical' to anyone?  To me it sounds terrible.
Where's the romance in a 'search engine' program?  Perhaps we'll get
to go inside a WAP phone too? (don't get me started on mobile phones -
no, I don't have one, thank god).  Anyway, going inside technology is
just so normal now - commericals showing digital bits flying around
mobile phones, dreadful boy band videos ripping of lightcycle
sequences, the Matrix, and more generally the twitching corpse of the
horse that was 'virtual reality' (it has to be in quotes, really) ...

Am I getting old?  Maybe.  However, with all my tech insight, the
original film has _not_ lost its romance.  The ideas were simple, but
that's the key - the ideas were _fundamental_ , and that's how the
film feels.  Of course that's precisely the reason why so many people
didn't like it.   But I quite like it this way - it wasn't meant for
everyone, or, perhaps more accurately, it was meant to be discovered -
at the time, or 20+ years later, it doesn't matter.

Of course I hope Lisberger does manage to bring back the original
excitement of his technology backdrop - I just don't know that it's
even possible anymore, at least not with concepts as that guy
outlined.  He would have to talk about new frontiers again, something
that has yet to be defined, but looms over us as a possibility.

Still, we'll see...
--
gl