[free-sklyarov] Dima's bail hearing

Edmund A. Hintz ed at hintz.org
Mon Aug 6 13:51:35 PDT 2001

On 8/6/01 10:22 AM, ed at hintz.org thus spake:

>looks like he will need to process out of sc jail but should soon be out
>of prison.

Notes on this: Dima is not yet out of jail. Bond is posted, but he now
has to process out of Santa Clara County Jail.

Background: When I was a dumb college kid many years ago, I flaked out on
several speeding tickets and such, and wound up with several warrants for
Failure to Appear. The total dollar amount was $1400, and as a minimum
wage cashier for a pet shop there was no way in hell I could pay it. So,
on Sunday evening of Spring Break week, I turned myself in to the local
PD. 2 court appearances later (different jurisdictions) both judges
declared time served, making me a free man in theory. Reality was it took
a day and a half from the judge declaring me free to me walking out of LA
County Jail a free man. Dima is a bit higher profile than I am, but it's
still going to take some time.

Even when he hits the streets, he is still imprisoned, just in a 3000
mile wide cell. He is not a free man until he hits international airspace
on a jet bound for Moscow. He is still separated from his family, his
job, and his school, and facing 5 years imprisonment in a foreign country.

Ergo, we must continue to turn up the heat. This is yet another small
victory, like Adobe, but the war is far from over. On a positive note,
press coverage is picking up, and more publicity is a very good thing.
Let's not lose our momentum here folks, onward... Free Dima!

Peace,
Edmund A. Hintz              **|**     "You may say I'm a dreamer,
Mac Techie, Linux Geek,     *  |  *      But I'm not the only one...
Mac/Linux Consultant       *  /|\  *     I hope someday you'll join us,
<ed at hintz.org>              */ | \*      And the world will live as one.
'78 Westy                    *****      Imagine."
                     http://www.hintz.org