[free-sklyarov] Copyright as a restriction

Xcott Craver sacraver at EE.Princeton.EDU
Fri Aug 24 00:39:53 PDT 2001

On 23 Aug 2001, Stephen R. Savitzky wrote:

> It's sort of like the Open Content License's option of reserving to the
> author the right to make paper copies.  What I want is *not* an "open
> source" type license (which is what's best for software), but something
> in between, that guarantees fair payments to the author and fair use to
> the purchaser.

	Sounds like existing copyright law satisfies your needs.

	Note that I'm not talking about the adoption of a new license,
	but of a sort of commitment by a company to stick with the
	existing balance that is copyright law.  Funny how it can
	sometimes be innovative just to stand still.

	So this audio FAT FREE sticker would just mean, "1, we don't
	have any watermarks or fingerprints or rip-proofing errors on
	this CD.  2, fair use of this CD is not expressly prohibited,
	as if we were even allowed to prohibit it.  3., we do not
	intend to treat you, pre-emptively, as a criminal."

	In other words, it's a plain old ordinary CD, just like the
	ones you bought in previous years, with the same rights
	as the ones you bought in previous years.  Guaranteed not
	to destroy your obscure stereo!

							Scott