[free-sklyarov] Copyright as a restriction

Stephen R. Savitzky steve at theStarport.org
Fri Aug 24 06:54:21 PDT 2001

Xcott Craver <sacraver at EE.Princeton.EDU> writes:

> On 23 Aug 2001, Stephen R. Savitzky wrote:
>
> > It's sort of like the Open Content License's option of reserving to the
> > author the right to make paper copies.  What I want is *not* an "open
> > source" type license (which is what's best for software), but something
> > in between, that guarantees fair payments to the author and fair use to
> > the purchaser.
>
> 	Sounds like existing copyright law satisfies your needs.

Close.  There are some things that go beyond fair use that I want to
specifically *permit* (e.g. the right to re-use the tune for another
song or modify the lyrics in a way that might not be a true parody -- I
belong to a community, science fiction fans, in which this is done a lot
and want to specifically encourage it).

> 	Note that I'm not talking about the adoption of a new license,
> 	but of a sort of commitment by a company to stick with the
> 	existing balance that is copyright law.  Funny how it can
> 	sometimes be innovative just to stand still.
>
> 	So this audio FAT FREE sticker would just mean, "1, we don't
> 	have any watermarks or fingerprints or rip-proofing errors on
> 	this CD.  2, fair use of this CD is not expressly prohibited,
> 	as if we were even allowed to prohibit it.  3., we do not
> 	intend to treat you, pre-emptively, as a criminal."

On the whole, though, this is exactly what I want the DRM-free sticker
to mean -- I can handle the other stuff in other ways.

--
 /   Steve Savitzky   \ 1997 Pegasus Award winner: best science song--+  \
/ <steve at theStarport.org>      http://theStarport.com/people/steve/   V   \